Women on this board

Anything that isn't Star Control. Mind your manners!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

chenjesuwizard
Malfunctioning M:bot

Women on this board

Post by chenjesuwizard » Tue May 27, 2014 12:17 am

I was just thinking about how we don't have any women on this board (as far as I'm aware, if I'm wrong, feel free to speak out) and was wondering why? Obviously women are a huge part of the online community, and there has been a growing presence of them in the gaming community (from what I can see, I'm not a huge part of it), but yet we have no women here. Is this because women feel unable to relate to the game in some way, maybe the fact that the majority of aliens are played by male voice actors? Or is it to do with the fact that this game came out when gaming was seen as an even more male-centric thing than it is now?

And, out of interest, have we ever had any women on this (or the previous two) board(s)?

glory_device
Ilwrath torturer

Re: Women on this board

Post by glory_device » Tue May 27, 2014 1:34 am

Computer retro gaming (distinction between computer and console is important here) is IMO even more male centric. Back in the late 80's to early 90's, computer in general was mainly a geeky/techy male oriented thing. They were less user friendly (just think of DOS...)
''I swiftly matured into a fine example of my species and with my parents' assistance, achieved independence.
Specifically, they pried me from the doorjamb, and rolled me into the street.'' -Fwiffo

Shiver
Arilou wiseguy

Post by Shiver » Tue May 27, 2014 5:14 am

The forums are less active compared to last decade, and back then there were intermittent female posters. Saria was a regular here not that long ago.

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Tue May 27, 2014 7:39 am

What do you mean we have no women here. We do.
Besides that, stop focusing so much on the gender of the people posting here. I'm glad that we can post here without having to reveal such information.

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin » Tue May 27, 2014 3:34 pm

Saria used to post quite a bit, also Zarla. But, as Angelfish said, this is really not a question that needs to be brought up. Nobody would be able to confirm the information anyhow, so it's largely irrelevant.

NEXT LINE IS A JOKE.
We definitely have women here. That's the reason for all the kitchen spam :)
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.

chenjesuwizard

Post by chenjesuwizard » Tue May 27, 2014 4:24 pm

Angelfish wrote:What do you mean we have no women here. We do.
Besides that, stop focusing so much on the gender of the people posting here. I'm glad that we can post here without having to reveal such information.
There was obviously no offence intended. It's just a matter of interest why their was a general male-centric orientation on this board, at least I find that interesting.

The study of gender is an important one as well, as it allows us to see where their are seriously biased structures in society that discriminate against women (and, to a much lesser extent, men) and allow us to fix them in some manner or another. Perhaps there was some societal reason for this bias that could be accounted for.

Obviously it is impossible to gain definite accurate information, but I merely had an interest in knowing what you lot thought about the subject, it's one I've recently been having with some friends of mine.

Maloo Oture
Ilwrath torturer

Post by Maloo Oture » Tue May 27, 2014 4:39 pm

It's not like he was demanding the release of such information...

It's a valid talking point in my opinion. I know, just from being around this particular board for awhile that there are some women here. And, from reading multiple topics and posts, it seems to me that they contribute or contributed quite a bit to the community. Now, I'm only a youngster compared to some other board members (Hahahahahaha) but even when I was a littler tyke, I thought girls just didn't like gaming. But now, as I meet new people through work or school, I see a lot more girls that are into gaming. My best friend is a girl gamer and she and I play minecraft, starbound, and a whole host of other games. It is interesting to see how it's changed over the years from my perspective.

glory_device
Ilwrath torturer

Post by glory_device » Tue May 27, 2014 5:52 pm

We can safely assume that the goal of this discussion is not to count the number of women (which is creepy), but to understand why there is a disparity in gender proportion.

As an engineer, I know that my professional association worked around the clock to bring more women into engineering and I personally think that it is a good thing. In various topics of life, gender equality and destruction of double standard is a hot topic of debate that can create passionate discussion and (unfortunately) hatred and flaming.

When I was younger, I had some friends who were girls that played console gaming (super nintendo and N64) and to lesser extend computer games. PC as we know it today just started to really gain momentum when I was like 8-9...so they played educational games and games like monkey island 2 and chip challenge. However, from what I know, they didn't really play a lot on the computer.

I think however that girl are more comfortable these day with the different label that society might tag them (geek, tech savvy, unconventional etc...) They are definitively more assertive.
''I swiftly matured into a fine example of my species and with my parents' assistance, achieved independence.
Specifically, they pried me from the doorjamb, and rolled me into the street.'' -Fwiffo

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Tue May 27, 2014 6:22 pm

Maloo Oture wrote:
Asking for it is enough to have people like Saria being harassed by others just for being of that gender. That's why the people I know who game who are female just pretend that they are men or not reveal such info at all :). If she wants such information disclosed, the can post it here herself right ? :)

chenjesuwizard

Post by chenjesuwizard » Tue May 27, 2014 8:10 pm

Angelfish wrote:
Maloo Oture wrote:
Asking for it is enough to have people like Saria being harassed by others just for being of that gender. That's why the people I know who game who are female just pretend that they are men or not reveal such info at all :). If she wants such information disclosed, the can post it here herself right ? :)
I have absolutely no wish to harass anyone in anyway or force anyone to reveal any kind of gender information that they did not wish to reveal, that was in no way my intention. I merely wished to open up a conversation I was interested in to the board and to ask of people's views, not to gauge how many female members there were for any strange reason, sexual or otherwise. I'm sorry if I caused offence in someway, Angelfish. I also was unaware, because of my own ignorance, of the presence of those few women on the board, and I'm sorry about this also.
glory_device wrote:We can safely assume that the goal of this discussion is not to count the number of women (which is creepy), but to understand why there is a disparity in gender proportion.

As an engineer, I know that my professional association worked around the clock to bring more women into engineering and I personally think that it is a good thing. In various topics of life, gender equality and destruction of double standard is a hot topic of debate that can create passionate discussion and (unfortunately) hatred and flaming.

When I was younger, I had some friends who were girls that played console gaming (super nintendo and N64) and to lesser extend computer games. PC as we know it today just started to really gain momentum when I was like 8-9...so they played educational games and games like monkey island 2 and chip challenge. However, from what I know, they didn't really play a lot on the computer.

I think however that girl are more comfortable these day with the different label that society might tag them (geek, tech savvy, unconventional etc...) They are definitively more assertive.

That's interesting, what did your friend do to further this goal? It has to be hard when there is such a societal expectation for women not to go into such jobs. I know a friend of mine, who is a mechanic, was asked when she had her first day on a job: "Who ordered a whore?"

I think there certainly is a disparity, even to this day, though I agree with you that their have been some improvements. However, there is certainly still a misogynistic culture around games, with many game designers making very male-centric games and many players making very misogynistic comments towards women in games, or calling girls who game "fake gamers", just because they don't believe a female could like such games.