Former Putin Advisor Warns: Finland, Sooner Or Later

Anything that isn't Star Control. Mind your manners!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Re: Former Putin Advisor Warns: Finland, Sooner Or Later

Post by Lukipela »

If you want to get technical about it, I think Ukraine was still an independent country before that, one of many countries making up "The Soviet Union", though that was slightly different in practice of course. But like we agreed on, "the Ukraine" isn't really proper english for the name of Ukraine, glad that's settled.
Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish »

Lukipela wrote:If you want to get technical about it, I think Ukraine was still an independent country before that, one of many countries making up "The Soviet Union", though that was slightly different in practice of course. But like we agreed on, "the Ukraine" isn't really proper english for the name of Ukraine, glad that's settled.
It has never been gramatically incorrect. It's simply a matter of whether you're referring to the region or the country.
Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela »

Angelfish wrote:It has never been gramatically incorrect. It's simply a matter of whether you're referring to the region or the country.
Angelfish wrote:
Maloo Oture wrote: And as for Ukraine: My boyfriend is Ukrainian. He always tell me not to say "the Ukraine". He says it's just "Ukraine". It's minor, but I found that interesting.
for him it's ukraine but for english people it's 'the ukraine' ;). just the same as we sasy 'nederland' but you say 'the netherlands'.
We also say 'de krim' but english people say 'crimea' and russian people say.. well I don't know, I don't speak russian.
Sure, I guess you failed to specify that "english" people you were lecturing about were talking about "the region", rather than the country that Maloo was talking about. For which it is grammatically incorrect. You don't have to be ashamed of your poor language skills dude, we're here to help :-*-smf
Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish »

Lukipela wrote:
Angelfish wrote:It has never been gramatically incorrect. It's simply a matter of whether you're referring to the region or the country.
Angelfish wrote:
Maloo Oture wrote: And as for Ukraine: My boyfriend is Ukrainian. He always tell me not to say "the Ukraine". He says it's just "Ukraine". It's minor, but I found that interesting.
for him it's ukraine but for english people it's 'the ukraine' ;). just the same as we sasy 'nederland' but you say 'the netherlands'.
We also say 'de krim' but english people say 'crimea' and russian people say.. well I don't know, I don't speak russian.
Sure, I guess you failed to specify that "english" people you were lecturing about were talking about "the region", rather than the country that Maloo was talking about. For which it is grammatically incorrect. You don't have to be ashamed of your poor language skills dude, we're here to help :-*-smf
Oh just fuck off.
Nuclear
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Nuclear »

Man, it's been a while since we had a good socio-political conjecture. I have regained confidence in this board's integrity!

I don't have a very refined opinion on the matter. I just think we're all earthlings here, and that it's quite silly we're segregating up parts of our beautiful world like the selfish asshole we are. Wanting what the other guy has is such a childish/animalistic desire, I fail to see why this is a trait we want someone in a position of power to have. Unless you're a drunken hick. Conspiracy time: why the hell would Russia wait to host the Olympics before initiating conquest mode?
Hackers never die. They just terminate and stay resident.
Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela »

Angelfish wrote:Oh just fuck off.
lol y u mad tho
Nuclear wrote:Man, it's been a while since we had a good socio-political conjecture. I have regained confidence in this board's integrity!

I don't have a very refined opinion on the matter. I just think we're all earthlings here, and that it's quite silly we're segregating up parts of our beautiful world like the selfish asshole we are. Wanting what the other guy has is such a childish/animalistic desire, I fail to see why this is a trait we want someone in a position of power to have. Unless you're a drunken hick. Conspiracy time: why the hell would Russia wait to host the Olympics before initiating conquest mode?
Putin probably didn't plan it out like that. Keep in mind that there was already an agreement between him and the EU that the president would step down and reforms would be initiated. But then Maidan happened and suddenly Putins guy got kicked out before he had had time to find replacements and ensure that the next government understood what was good for them, so he had to act quicker. It's quite possible he felt betrayed by the west as well, the IMF and EU were really fucking quick in recognizing the new "democratic" government that had just overthrown his guy and to promise them loans and support.
Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 »

Angelfish wrote:As we speak western parents are teaching their children to hate russians just for being russian
I haven't seen that. Feeling bad for them for being in a dystopia, yes.
Angelfish wrote:and russian parents are teaching their children to hate americans just because they are american. If we continue to do this, world peace is never possible.
I don't know so much about that, but from what I've heard it's more exasperation at everyone else for assuming that they're still an evil empire after all this time. It's not like Stalin's in charge...
Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin »

Well, the Russian speaking militaristic forums are filled with hatred to Americans and, to a lesser degree, Europeans (as an inclusive entity)
mixed with unfounded pride in Russian not-yet-operational technology and total dismissal of proven American capabilities. Actually kind of funny to read all that zeal. But also scary.
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.
Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela »

Death 999 wrote:
Angelfish wrote:As we speak western parents are teaching their children to hate russians just for being russian
I haven't seen that. Feeling bad for them for being in a dystopia, yes.
Yeah, I mean even in Finland where we have a pretty sore history with our eastern neighbour, I don't think you'd find a lot of people who hate Russians nowadays. Distrust the Russian state, absolutely. Be wary of Putin and his goals, sure. But hate the Russians as a people? That's not really a thing here.