April Fools

Anything that isn't Star Control. Mind your manners!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Bleeding Star
Ilwrath spawn

Re: April Fools

Post by Bleeding Star » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:05 pm

Eth wrote:Remind me never to gay-marry Sedodes. I sounds both trying and harrowing.
Indeed you do!

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:24 pm

Hmm. I wonder if this is a cultural thing. I see lot of pranks on quality shows such as Americas Funniest Home Videos and whatever show it is that shows collegehumor.com stuff, but it all seems alien to me. Is it really that common in the US? I've never seen anyone go to that much bother to prank someone around here.

Also, while my old flatmates might have only gotten annoyed, my girlfriend would be furious. I can see tricks like that doing some serious damage to a relationship. But maybe that's the aforementioned cultural difference? After calming down, do people in the US generally just go "Oh haha you sure tricked me into thinking my child was murdered that's hilarious"? I just can't see that happening here.

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:56 pm

Lukipela wrote:Hmm. I wonder if this is a cultural thing. I see lot of pranks on quality shows such as Americas Funniest Home Videos and whatever show it is that shows collegehumor.com stuff, but it all seems alien to me. Is it really that common in the US? I've never seen anyone go to that much bother to prank someone around here.

Also, while my old flatmates might have only gotten annoyed, my girlfriend would be furious. I can see tricks like that doing some serious damage to a relationship. But maybe that's the aforementioned cultural difference? After calming down, do people in the US generally just go "Oh haha you sure tricked me into thinking my child was murdered that's hilarious"? I just can't see that happening here.
I think it's a cultural difference indeed. The scandinavian people i've worked with, excluding the danish, have a more 'polite' sense of humour. Kinda like the germans, but less obvious ;).
English people are a bit more rude, but sexual comments are out of the question. We (the dutch) are just generally very rude, even more than the americans, but we do less pranks like the ones you see on college humor.. it's more like doing a lot of hoaxes ;). Sexual jokes are really normal in Holland.

Smoke353
Turnip Farmer

Post by Smoke353 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:03 pm

Lukipela wrote:Hmm. I wonder if this is a cultural thing. I see lot of pranks on quality shows such as Americas Funniest Home Videos and whatever show it is that shows collegehumor.com stuff, but it all seems alien to me. Is it really that common in the US? I've never seen anyone go to that much bother to prank someone around here.
Can't say I've witnessed the cultural difference myself, but it must be, since pranks happen often regardless of the date, albeit more on april 1st ;)
I was here.

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:23 pm

Angelfish wrote: I think it's a cultural difference indeed. The scandinavian people i've worked with, excluding the danish, have a more 'polite' sense of humour. Kinda like the germans, but less obvious ;).
Yeah, we've got more of an ironic, yet restrained humour.
English people are a bit more rude, but sexual comments are out of the question. We (the dutch) are just generally very rude, even more than the americans, but we do less pranks like the ones you see on college humor.. it's more like doing a lot of hoaxes ;). Sexual jokes are really normal in Holland.
Sexual jokes on an all male workplace are fairly common here, but seldom in mixed company at work.

sedodes
Hunam adventurer

Post by sedodes » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:10 am

Generally the American attitude of "the bigger the better" holds true even with pranks. Don't get me wrong, I don't think that traumatizing someone with a prank is funny. It goes against the "nobody gets hurt" nature of the humor. That's why timing is everything... leaving your family a DVD of your murder then popping in a month a month later yelling, "surprise!" is certainly bad taste, but allowing someone to see a fake scene of grisly murder for a second or two is no different than jumping out from behind a corner and yelling, "boo!"

As for what damages a relationship, I suppose that varies by the people in it. I personally prefer women I'm with to be a little emotionally well-toned and able to not freak the fuck out and get scarred for life after having experienced and "OH MY GOD!" moment and realizing in short order it was a prank.
The most important thing to realize in life is that anyone can justify anything.

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:05 pm

sedodes wrote: I personally prefer women I'm with to be a little emotionally well-toned and able to not freak the fuck out
Judging from other threads, you've not had much luck with that recently.

On a more serious note, it's odd how big cultural differences really can be. Like I said, I can't imagine anyone I know who'd find a prank like that the least bit funny. Not saying it isn't to you guys, but it just doesn't translate into our sense of humour. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised though, even Swedes are surprisingly alien to Finns. Imagine meeting someone who wasn't from a neighbouring country!

sedodes
Hunam adventurer

Post by sedodes » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:22 pm

Lukipela wrote:Judging from other threads, you've not had much luck with that recently.
I know this all too well. The ones I manage to find who think my sense of humor is hilarious beyond reproach are severely flawed in other ways. I've thought many times before that maybe my ex-relations and their highschool dropout friends are right - that I'm just some crazy asshole - but thankfully I know enough people who lead successful lives and have functional relationships telling me that in fact I'm rather sane albeit with a penchant for brash comedy. You start to second-guess yourself after a while, and for a long time I didn't realize that this is what friends are for... to make sure you don't bend and break under the weight of opposing opinion.

Before I got married I used to think everything could be laughed at, that the potential for a joke was always there if the situation, timing, and circumstances were right - since marriage it seems that nothing can be taken as a joke unless my wife decides she doesn't want to fight at that particular moment. The worst part is the constant feeling that humor is absent from my life, though since I'm living alone again I've had ample laughs at this whole situation as I hope many of you have. I'm not a fan of being pittied.
On a more serious note, it's odd how big cultural differences really can be. Like I said, I can't imagine anyone I know who'd find a prank like that the least bit funny. Not saying it isn't to you guys, but it just doesn't translate into our sense of humour. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised though, even Swedes are surprisingly alien to Finns. Imagine meeting someone who wasn't from a neighbouring country!
Lukipela you make me miss tossing the letter u into everything from armour to colour. Firefox and its annoying red squiggly lines ruined the Queen's English for me, though.

I think a key component of classic American humor is being able to laugh at yourself, which is why Europeans don't seem to get it. In fact, Americans on the whole seem to actually be losing this trait as time goes by. It's a shame because pretty soon Mexicans and Australians are going to be the only people with whom you can get drunk and have a good laugh at the expense of each-other's pride.
The most important thing to realize in life is that anyone can justify anything.

Rider
Not Ride Her

Post by Rider » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:54 pm

I think a key component of classic American humor[sic] is being able to laugh at yourself
That can go a bit far sometimes though. I distinctly remember being present at a GWAR concert (in Europe) at one point and their "laugh at yourself" levels where so high that only they themselves where actually finding their whole shtick funny. Everyone else just sort of stood there... drinking beer... it was kind of awkward actually.
Hehe, that's what I said!

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:44 pm

sedodes wrote:I think a key component of classic American humour is being able to laugh at yourself, which is why Europeans don't seem to get it.
I think we just do it in another way really. I'd estimate that about a third of jokes people make here at my workplace in Sweden are at their own expense. And maybe a sixth or so is at someone else's expense. But our jokes are usually just verbal, we don't make big elaborate plans and build up pranks with props. Maybe it's another case of the American "bigger is better", where just a joke isn't enough but you need big flashy props and a video camera so everyone knows it's fun.

Good luck finding a woman who is both sane and enjoys jokes like "You're husband has cancer" and "Your child and husband were brutally murdered though. Sounds like it could be tricky.