April Fools

Anything that isn't Star Control. Mind your manners!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Fossaman
Arilou wiseguy

April Fools

Post by Fossaman » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:07 am

So, the first April Fool's pranks have started cropping up from across the dateline...and I'm reminded how very much I dislike the tradition. Really good hoaxes should be perpetrated at random! Sure, April Fool's Day affords a chance for respected, credible sources to 'let their hair down' and lie through their teeth. But I'm not sure that's a good thing.

What do you think of April 1st?

Scott Irving
Site Admin

Re: April Fools

Post by Scott Irving » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:36 am

I've finally got a completed trailer for XR.. oh wait it's still the 31st here.
Site Admin and General Techie person. Also I'm batman.

Nuclear
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Nuclear » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:54 am

Ah, April Fools. The time when small, incredible tiny, ridiculously undersized and undeveloped, just barely sentient humanoids {Commonly known as children} have a not-so-polite exchange of practical, humorous and sometimes physical jokes, usually in the sincere hope of somewhat embarrassing the other party to a minor degree of pants weteddom. I shall reside here in this comfortable and safe abode, coming up with newer and improved descriptive words all the while waiting for this unwanted tradition to blow over in a speedy and painless matter. :P :P :P
Scott Irving wrote:oh wait it's still the 31st here.
Same....
Hackers never die. They just terminate and stay resident.

Rider
Not Ride Her

Post by Rider » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:34 am

I love it! Like you said, a lot of big-time corporations get to be silly without compromising their image. Youtube already kicked it off with it's new "Textp" display mode. It's pretty nifty :)
Hehe, that's what I said!

Dabir
Duke Franz Ferdinand

Post by Dabir » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:26 pm

April Fools' used to be funny. I wish I'd been reading xkcd and questionable content when they did the front page switcheroo, and I remember the albino blacksheep 'we are now google flash' one. Today's AFDs? xkcd has a unix terminal navigation, and QC has some silly yaoi-type manga comic instead of a real comic. That's not funny, nor is it likely to make anyone go OMG ALL IS RUIN like ABS's excellent effort.

Fossaman
Arilou wiseguy

Post by Fossaman » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:12 pm

So. I've decided that my opinion of April Fool's jokes only applies to poorly executed ones. Google's 'Topeka' joke is pretty cool, if not nearly as cool as their 'Unsend' feature for Gmail. One of the webcomics I read has a faux tween-fanfic up that made me bust out laughing. And a new version of Dwarf Fortress just got released in a flawless reverse-fooling, in that it's not a joke. (That would be awesome anyway, but the fact that the creator had the audacity to release it today makes it even better.)

I think the rule of thumb here is that it has to be funny if it's not April 1st, too.

Scott Irving
Site Admin

Post by Scott Irving » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:04 am

for you facebookers.. mafia wars swapped the chop shop with "unicorn castle" with pretty rainbows.. :lol:
Site Admin and General Techie person. Also I'm batman.

Nuclear
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Nuclear » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:12 am

Scott Irving wrote:for you facebookers.. mafia wars swapped the chop shop with "unicorn castle" with pretty rainbows.. :lol:
Good thing I didn't lose my progress on building my chop shop, they converted them into "Happy castle" stuff :P, I guess this is like a temporary time to make some unicorns...Out of Thai car parts?
Hackers never die. They just terminate and stay resident.

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:06 pm

Fossaman wrote:What do you think of April 1st?
I like the jokes perpetrated by big newspapers and whatnot, but not so much all the small silly things People get up to otherwise. Last year, or the year before that Shiver got us al (or at least me!)l good with an Aprils Fool joke on the board, that was pretty funny though.

Eth
Shining Being of Pure Light and Blissful Love

Post by Eth » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:13 pm

This is the first time in years that my wife didn't prank me. She always used to put soap on my toothbrush, or stuff things into the toes of my boots or something. Silly girl.