Olympics

Anything that isn't Star Control. Mind your manners!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

glory_device
Ilwrath torturer

Olympics

Post by glory_device » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:05 pm

Despite what is going on in russia (I don't want to talk about that), in general, do you like the olympics be it summer or winter?

What sport do you like to watch?
''I swiftly matured into a fine example of my species and with my parents' assistance, achieved independence.
Specifically, they pried me from the doorjamb, and rolled me into the street.'' -Fwiffo

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Re: Olympics

Post by Draxas » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:21 pm

I like both seasons' Olympics, though only certain select events. Cycling is always fun to watch (and sometimes, depending on the event, super weird). The combination skiing/shooting thing that I forget the name of is also pretty interesting. Last Winter Olympics I also started watching snowboarding a bit, which was pretty neat too. The various martial arts (fencing included) are also interesting.

Stuff like the team sports I completely ignore, though, nor do I much care for mainstays like diving, track, gymnastics, or figure skating.

Maloo Oture
Ilwrath torturer

Post by Maloo Oture » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:53 am

I too enjoy the fencing!

glory_device
Ilwrath torturer

Post by glory_device » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:51 pm

Draxas wrote:I like both seasons' Olympics, though only certain select events. Cycling is always fun to watch (and sometimes, depending on the event, super weird). The combination skiing/shooting thing that I forget the name of is also pretty interesting. Last Winter Olympics I also started watching snowboarding a bit, which was pretty neat too. The various martial arts (fencing included) are also interesting.

Stuff like the team sports I completely ignore, though, nor do I much care for mainstays like diving, track, gymnastics, or figure skating.
Biathlon is the combo between skiing and shooting...It is really cool to watch! For me, I love every sports...In winter, I am fond of hockey (cause I am a canadian), Muggle ski, ski cross and slopestyle (cause I am a Quebecker) and figure skating (because of the dude that describe this sports he is so awesome) In summer...I love rowing and all similar competition, I enjoy diving a lot because of a local hero and women beach voleyball (cause you know... I like the view). The only competition that I find truly boring is the horse parade (not the jump the other one). :lol:

What even is super weird in cycling?

Fencing is BLAZING fast ...I don't know how they do it!!!
''I swiftly matured into a fine example of my species and with my parents' assistance, achieved independence.
Specifically, they pried me from the doorjamb, and rolled me into the street.'' -Fwiffo

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:09 am

True, I don't always manage to see everything, even in slow motion replay.
Is curling an Olympic event? If so, I like watching that sometimes. If not, no particular event.
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.

glory_device
Ilwrath torturer

Post by glory_device » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:46 am

w0000t I forgot curling...my dad and I used to play a lot together and watch it together when I was younger! This game is really strategic.

In 2012, I was in an internship and listened to the Olympics during my work time while coding...was a good memory. The whole office came to see me to get updates :mrgreen:

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:19 pm

glory_device wrote:What even is super weird in cycling?
That would be the sprint:

The whole slow motion cycling thing is just bizarre to me. You can actually see a guy walking in the stands faster than they are biking at one point.

UltronUser25
Hunam adventurer

Post by UltronUser25 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:20 am

glory_device wrote:
Draxas wrote:Muggle ski,
Is that part of the Harry Potter Olympics?

I like some of the Olympics - particularly when you get to see the sports that are not commonly featured generally, like weightlifting, canoeing/kayaking, sailing, and in the winter, the newer events like the snowboarding. However the athletics to me is boring, just running round and round in a circle. Not a fan of ice skating neither, as the tv in this country has been saturated with Strictly Come Dancing and Dancing On Ice (well ice skating is a bit like ballroom dancing on ice) and they are a bit boring and repetitive now - and I'm from the UK in case anyone isn't sure what programmes I'm on about!
The Ultron tells me I should wear my Mask of Toys for Bob Appreciation when playing Star Control 2.

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:29 am

Draxas wrote:
glory_device wrote:What even is super weird in cycling?
That would be the sprint:

The whole slow motion cycling thing is just bizarre to me. You can actually see a guy walking in the stands faster than they are biking at one point.
It's a purely tactical game. The one who attacks first is the one who spends the most energy getting to maximum speed. And by going ahead of your opponent you have a less tactical advantage because you can't see what he is doing/planning. You've got a head start then. But you have to go all-out to win.
The cyclist who plays the 'sur place' (as they call it) the smartest usually wins.
Recently the UCI has placed regulations upon the 'sur place'. It may not last more than 30 seconds. But in the past some cyclist have sur placed for as much as 68 minutes before finishing the race ;).

glory_device
Ilwrath torturer

Post by glory_device » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:47 pm

Thanks for the info angel!

@ultronuser: this is muggle skiing:

They are just crazy :P!