Still kicking. Kind of.

Anything that isn't Star Control. Mind your manners!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Post Reply
User avatar
Nuclear
Yehat Revolutionist
Posts: 756
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:28 am
Location: Citadel Station

Re: Still kicking. Kind of.

Post by Nuclear »

There was some political drama regarding video games earlier this year, and cultural Marxist ideology was starting to be injected into spaces where it doesn't belong. This forum and many others were starting to assume a political status quo, which I dissented against, and instead of being properly refuted I more often was outright attacked or even censored completely. Yes, I could have argued my points a bit {a lot} better, and I ended up being blocked by what seems like half the forum, but I have no regrets.

Eth {and friends}, I know you're not reading this, but I'm disappointed with your lack of emotional fortitude in the face of opinions you don't necessarily agree with. You were a moderator. You should know more than anyone that a plurality of opinion is essential to a proper and constructive discourse. The internet is not, and should never become, an ideological hugbox, and I'm saying this as a transgender person. "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
Hackers never die. They just terminate and stay resident.
User avatar
The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags
Posts: 1396
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:16 pm
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: Still kicking. Kind of.

Post by The Troglodyte »

Nuclear wrote:There was some political drama regarding video games earlier this year, and cultural Marxist ideology was starting to be injected into spaces where it doesn't belong. This forum and many others were starting to assume a political status quo, which I dissented against, and instead of being properly refuted I more often was outright attacked or even censored completely. Yes, I could have argued my points a bit {a lot} better, and I ended up being blocked by what seems like half the forum, but I have no regrets.

Eth {and friends}, I know you're not reading this, but I'm disappointed with your lack of emotional fortitude in the face of opinions you don't necessarily agree with. You were a moderator. You should know more than anyone that a plurality of opinion is essential to a proper and constructive discourse. The internet is not, and should never become, an ideological hugbox, and I'm saying this as a transgender person. "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
I'm curious... you can block somebody? I did not know that, even though I would never block anybody no matter what they said, and anyone who thinks otherwise can attempt to drive me to that point... and they would fail...badly. Also, would it also block from that person my reply using their quote like I just did? Just wondering.
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh
User avatar
Nuclear
Yehat Revolutionist
Posts: 756
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:28 am
Location: Citadel Station

Re: Still kicking. Kind of.

Post by Nuclear »

Yes you can block people, and I am pretty sure that people who have blocked me can inadvertantly read my stuff when others quote it, so thanks for the signal boost lol.
Hackers never die. They just terminate and stay resident.
User avatar
Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags
Posts: 1632
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:10 pm

Re: Still kicking. Kind of.

Post by Angelfish »

Nuclear wrote:Yes you can block people, and I am pretty sure that people who have blocked me can inadvertantly read my stuff when others quote it, so thanks for the signal boost lol.
Are you drunk?
User avatar
Nuclear
Yehat Revolutionist
Posts: 756
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:28 am
Location: Citadel Station

Re: Still kicking. Kind of.

Post by Nuclear »

I had helped myself to a homemade martini or two that night yes. Nothing like a bit of buzzed shitposting, eh Angelfish? :-*-smf
Hackers never die. They just terminate and stay resident.
User avatar
Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags
Posts: 1632
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:10 pm

Re: Still kicking. Kind of.

Post by Angelfish »

Nuclear wrote:I had helped myself to a homemade martini or two that night yes. Nothing like a bit of buzzed shitposting, eh Angelfish? :-*-smf
yeah, let's meet up for drinks and trolling these boards :)
User avatar
Eth
Shining Being of Pure Light and Blissful Love
Posts: 1042
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:39 am
Location: USA

Re: Still kicking. Kind of.

Post by Eth »

Angelfish wrote:
Eth wrote:Heh. NationStates. Now THAT takes me back.

Zot's good. Knows more about science and engineering than everyone else in the house combined, due to rampant YouTube watching.

I've settled in pretty well. Bought a house. Threw a party. I get to lead a design team once or twice a year, which I enjoy.

I'm glad you're still, still, kicking around.

I don't come here much anymore. I don't care about Star Control prequels that may or may not be coming out soon. I basically told Nuclear what I thought of him, resigned as mod, then blocked him. There wasn't much else left to do after that.
Nice to see you still alive :). How's the burned hand?
Edit: Perhaps it's a better idea if we all just come here when we're drunk. Or did we already, with the bar fight with nuclear and all..
Waaaay ahead of you buddy!

I think it was Jesse, the artist I worked with on the "That Ur-Quan Master" comic, who burned his hand. His day job was as a chef.

Ah, yes, I can see Nuclear's posts when people quote him. Ha ha. Do shut up, Nuclear.
User avatar
Nuclear
Yehat Revolutionist
Posts: 756
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:28 am
Location: Citadel Station

Re: Still kicking. Kind of.

Post by Nuclear »

Eth, despite our past shenanigans, I hold absolutely no ill will towards you, and even look up to you in many ways. I remember how pathetic a socialite I was when I first joined the SCDB many years ago, and how it was yours and Luki's conditioning that made me the functioning internet conversationalist I am today. So, nothing would make me happier if we could put our political differences aside and mutually agree to collectivise based on our love of the retro computer game that brought us together in the first place.
Angelfish wrote:yeah, let's meet up for drinks and trolling these boards :)
Heh, I just bought a bottle of Olmeca Tequila today, which I would be more than happy to share with you if you didn't live a million miles away.
Hackers never die. They just terminate and stay resident.
User avatar
Quasispatial
Yehat Revolutionist
Posts: 683
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:10 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Still kicking. Kind of.

Post by Quasispatial »

Nuclear wrote:Eth, despite our past shenanigans, I hold absolutely no ill will towards you, and even look up to you in many ways. I remember how pathetic a socialite I was when I first joined the SCDB many years ago, and how it was yours and Luki's conditioning that made me the functioning internet conversationalist I am today. So, nothing would make me happier if we could put our political differences aside and mutually agree to collectivise based on our love of the retro computer game that brought us together in the first place.
Ooooh. Complex expressions, a well-placed appeal... this is nice.
Oh you who hath blocked Nuclear, fear the power of the quote showing things by proxy! [Insert evil laugh here]
"Sentient life. We are the Ur-Quan. Independence is intolerable. Blah, blah, blah." - the Spathi High Council, Star Control II.
User avatar
Nuclear
Yehat Revolutionist
Posts: 756
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:28 am
Location: Citadel Station

Re: Still kicking. Kind of.

Post by Nuclear »

God damn, I love you Quasi. You and Trog have become some of the most essential members of the board despite being relative newcomers. Keep the conversation alive, my d00ds, and you will be looked up to as elders by future members of the SCDB.
Hackers never die. They just terminate and stay resident.
Post Reply