Still kicking. Kind of.

Anything that isn't Star Control. Mind your manners!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Re: Still kicking. Kind of.

Post by The Troglodyte »

Greeting sedodes.

You and I have never had any interaction before, and for all I know, you may never actually read this, but I thought I'd go ahead and put a few things out there as it pertains to my observations, now that I've had a chance to read up on many of your postings...please pardon my prowling, but I simply couldn't resist. And your last post touched me; not the crude and vulgar way you describe if I were an alien...but touched me nonetheless.

First of all, I'd like to say, I hope that wherever you currently are in life, I hope you are doing well and feel good about yourself. One day, a long time ago, I had to ask myself, "What do I value?". Try asking yourself that, and if you're able, come up with at least five values. I myself place a high value on things like love, happiness, joy, and contentment. Contentment is underrated and difficult to achieve, and furthermore, can only be attained by occassionally losing it. Joy is fleeting, but well worth its short-lived burst. Love requires giving it first. And happiness...well happiness is what it's all about!

Enlightenment is nice and has its perks, but there is a fine line between enlightenment and self-dilusion; enlightenment mixed with apathy lacks purpose, and enlightened driftwood is well...quite frankly, pathetic. You owe yourself more than any of these things, whichever, if any, currently applies.

It would be an understatement to say that you've been through alot. Your perseverance should be your strength, not a catalyst for beating you down. I wish all of my words could be kind and encouraging, and that is ultimately my expressed desire, but I also think that you will likely appreciate honesty above posturing. Hindsight would say your divorce was innevitable, but even a simple observer would say the marriage was certainly 'strained', to say the least. I think you needed somebody equally as thick-skinned as you, and maybe you still do, or perhaps your frequent entanglements with the American justice system, family woes, alcholism, and any other troubles you've encountered, may have served a purpose in chipping away at the wall you seem to impose on the world around you, all the while flipping it off from behind, clinging to your defiance. Or maybe it simply got built higher. I'm saying all of this to say, believe it or not, to some degree...I've been there. I can relate to your pain.

That is why I must say if you want to get something good out of this life, you have to accept the decisions you've made in the past, live with those consequences, whatever they may be, and overcome and set forth to achieve your heart's desires. This at least proved true in my life, and I'm now a better person for it. If nothing else, consider all of the people from these boards who you've interacted with, whether friendly or hostile. I think it's safe to say that most, if not all, want nothing but the best hopes for you.

Which brings us to my last value. Why are we here? What is my purpose? This last value might be the most important one of all: Hope. Without hope, all is lost. Life quickly becomes insurmountable. Futile. Pointless. Be willing to ask the difficult questions. But more importantly, afterward, be still...and listen.

Sincerely,
A friend.
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh
sedodes
Hunam adventurer

Checking In

Post by sedodes »

Eth wrote:Sedodes,

It's good to hear from you. It sounds like you've achieved a mental state that many aspire to, but few attain. Skiing, working out, writing fiction. Sounds like a good life. I find Nuclear's comments on Buddhism to be rather perplexing, as it sounds like you've already achieved a life free from desire and emotion.

As you can guess, I spend so little time around here that it took me almost a month to see that you had posted. When I got my job as a Magic card designer I drifted away from this place.

Anyway, check back in every couple years; I would enjoy finding out how things are going for you.

-Eth
So, it's been a couple years. Figured I'd check in.

OMG the OP for this thread is utter weaksauce. I'm debating whether or not to edit out the damned thing; probably won't for honesty sake... we all have our low moments. I've come to accept the new status quo of my life - that I don't NEED or necessarily want a whole lot of responsibilities, or really, much else. There's a lot of recreational activities, casual sex, recreational non-4th-of-July explosives (?!), and a very liberating sense of utter honesty which exists in my life currently. It's a high-point where I really don't have to compromise myself in any way to meet my needs or feel satisfied. Sometimes I think having a girlfriend would be nice to alleviate the creeping loneliness, but I just got through with yet another crazy one and am coming to realize I have a "type" - batshit insane - so I think the unattached banging will hold me over for the time being 8)-smf Hey, at least I didn't go and marry this one :lol:

One of these days I may stick around long enough to actually reconnect with the members of this forum. Last time I didn't because I was chin-deep in ennui, and this time I (probably) won't because I don't have internet access at home - too much online becomes a black hole of my life, and I get terribly insufferable when I don't get those activity-related brain chemicals. I'm definitely more geek than jock but it seems that if I don't go out and bicycle or lift regularly (or fall in love) I'm a sadsack. I much prefer to be a happysack.

I wound up here as a consequence of finding out (via Reddit) that NationStates is still around. Sadly, the Philsocracy of the Lost Chenjesu is long since gone AFAIK. I then discovered P6014 on Youtube. If anyone can give me a summary of p6014 I'd appreciate being spared the time of digging for information since Wikipedia doesn't have a page regarding the matter.

@Eth: Glad to see things are going well for you. How's Zot? I'd slap my monitor HARD in high-five style fashion, but without you doing it at the same time it seems like sillyness and pointless damage. Not that I'm against either, but you know... it'd be inconvenient to have to repair a device.

@All of the oldies (Luki, BS, Angelfish, Nuke, etc... you know who you are): It may have taken a couple years for me to see it, but I sincerely appreciate y'all checking it. It warms my heart to know that I touched people in some way, however small. Can't imagine that all of you are going to pop in again but here's to hoping!

@The Troglodyte: Thanks for the words. This is a great community built around a great game, and you seem like a decent fellow (or fellowette).
The most important thing to realize in life is that anyone can justify anything.
Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish »

Don't worry. I'm still here.
You still up for business?
The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte »

sedodes wrote:So, it's been a couple years. Figured I'd check in.
It’s great to hear from you!
sedodes wrote:OMG the OP for this thread is utter weaksauce. I'm debating whether or not to edit out the damned thing; probably won't for honesty sake... we all have our low moments.
It takes a great deal of courage to allow oneself to become vulnerable, which therefore cannot be a low moment.
sedodes wrote:One of these days I may stick around long enough to actually reconnect with the members of this forum.

@The Troglodyte: Thanks for the words. This is a great community built around a great game, and you seem like a decent fellow (or fellowette).
I for one would be very pleased if your visitations became more frequent, and YOU are still part of this community, so feel free to drop in anytime! :)
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh
sedodes
Hunam adventurer

Post by sedodes »

Angelfish wrote:Don't worry. I'm still here.
Hell yeah I'm still up for business!

... but I'm going to have to test you to make sure you haven't been infiltrated by the Dynarri - what is the business to which you refer?
The most important thing to realize in life is that anyone can justify anything.
Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Re: Checking In

Post by Death 999 »

sedodes wrote:If anyone can give me a summary of p6014 I'd appreciate being spared the time of digging for information since Wikipedia doesn't have a page regarding the matter.
Spoilered since Troglodyte hasn't finished the game and P6014 is a sequel.

So Zelnick and Talana retired to Vela, and the Chmmr became a bit oppressive. The Shofixti went scouting for a new home planet out past the Southwest corner of the starmap, and got nailed by something big. You are sent to investigate using this non-customizable lame explorer ship. Once you find the site of the incident, some assholes trap you on a planet there, but you survive and there's a lot of precursor stuff there, so mwahaha you're back in business. That's the end of the preview. Past that, you eventually go *below* and go back in time and mess around with the milieu and all sorts of stuff...

... so became so sprawling that though I got the individual parts, I could never quite understand the overall point. BTW, if you go try it out, I wrote the VUX and Pkunk dialog. The Youtube videos I have seen don't hit the best bits.
Nuclear
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Nuclear »

Sedodes, my d00d, so nice to hear from you! I would take you out for drinks, if I could. Please, make this forum great again.
Hackers never die. They just terminate and stay resident.
Eth
Shining Being of Pure Light and Blissful Love

Post by Eth »

Heh. NationStates. Now THAT takes me back.

Zot's good. Knows more about science and engineering than everyone else in the house combined, due to rampant YouTube watching.

I've settled in pretty well. Bought a house. Threw a party. I get to lead a design team once or twice a year, which I enjoy.

I'm glad you're still, still, kicking around.

I don't come here much anymore. I don't care about Star Control prequels that may or may not be coming out soon. I basically told Nuclear what I thought of him, resigned as mod, then blocked him. There wasn't much else left to do after that.
Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish »

sedodes wrote:
Angelfish wrote:Don't worry. I'm still here.
Hell yeah I'm still up for business!

... but I'm going to have to test you to make sure you haven't been infiltrated by the Dynarri - what is the business to which you refer?
Coke and hookers as always.
Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish »

Eth wrote:Heh. NationStates. Now THAT takes me back.

Zot's good. Knows more about science and engineering than everyone else in the house combined, due to rampant YouTube watching.

I've settled in pretty well. Bought a house. Threw a party. I get to lead a design team once or twice a year, which I enjoy.

I'm glad you're still, still, kicking around.

I don't come here much anymore. I don't care about Star Control prequels that may or may not be coming out soon. I basically told Nuclear what I thought of him, resigned as mod, then blocked him. There wasn't much else left to do after that.
Nice to see you still alive :). How's the burned hand?
Edit: Perhaps it's a better idea if we all just come here when we're drunk. Or did we already, with the bar fight with nuclear and all..