Star Control Discussion Board

All About Star Control
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:30 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: So, what were/are you favourite games?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:14 pm 
Reborn Shofixti

Original post moved to page two somewhere...

Taking the list of games mentioned as favourites I've compiled a sort of Top 100 games that SCDB likes below. Enjoy! (How I determined this is on page two.)

1. Image
    Star Control 2

2. Image
    Civilization: Call to Power

3. Image
    StarWars: Tie Fighter

4. Image
    X-COM: UFO Defense

5. Image
    Commander Keen 4: Secret of the Oracle

6. Image
    Doom

7. Image
    Dune II: The Building of a Dynasty

8. Image
    Heroes of Might and Magic III: The Restoration of Erathia

9. Image
    Little Big Adventure

10. Image
    Sim City 4

11. Image
    StarCraft

12. Image
    The Incredible Machine 2

13. Image
    Warlords II

14. Image
    World of Warcraft

15. Image
    Alien Assault

16. Image
    Anno 1404

17. Image
    Banjo-Kazooie

18. Image
    Boktai: The Sun is in Your Hand

19. Image
    Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin

20. Image
    Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

21. Image
    Chrono Trigger

22. Image
    Sid Meier's Civilization II

23. Image
    Sid Meier's Civilization III

24. Image
    Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2

25. Image
    Command and Conquer: Generals

26. Image
    Commander Keen 6: Aliens Ate My Baby Sitter!

27. Image
    Creatures 2: Torture Trouble

28. Image
    Deathtrack

29. Image
    Deus Ex

30. Image
    Diddy Kong Racing

31. Image
    DOOM II

32. Image
    Dune

33. Image
    E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy

34. Image
    Elite

35. Image
    EVE Online

36. Image
    Fallout

37. Image
    Fallout 3

38. Image
    Gobliiins

39. Image
    Goblins Quest 3

40. Image
    Halo: Combat Evolved

41. Image
    Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

42. Image
    Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis

43. Image
    Jet Set Willy

44. Image
    Jones in the Fast Lane

45. Image
    Katamari Damacy

46. Image
    La•Mulana

47. Image
    The Legend of Zelda

48. Image
    Lemmings

49. Image
    Mass Effect

50. Image
    Mass Effect 2

51. Image
    Mass Effect 3

52. Image
    Master of Orion

53. Image
    Master of Orion II: Battle at Antares

54. Image
    Mega Man X

55. Image
    Mega Man Zero

56. Image
    Mega Man ZX

57. Image
    Metroid Prime

58. Image
    Metroid: Zero Mission

59. Image
    Minecraft

60. Image
    NiGHTS into Dreams...

61. Image
    No More Heroes

62. Image
    Ōkami

63. Image
    Panzer General

64. Image
    Perfect Dark

65. Image
    Plants vs. Zombies

66. Image
    Pokémon Blue Version

67. Image
    Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Blue Rescue Team

68. Image
    Portal 2

69. Image
    Quake III: Arena

70. Image
    R-Type

71. Image
    REBEL

72. Image
    Silent Storm

73. Image
    Sonic Colours

74. Image
    Space Gun

75. Image
    Space Quest V: The Next Mutation

76. Image
    Star Fox

77. Image
    Star Wars: X-Wing Vs. TIE Fighter

78. Image
    Super Metroid

79. Image
    Syndicate

80. Image
    System Shock

81. Image
    System Shock 2

82. Image
    Team Fortress 2

83. Image
    Test Drive III: The Passion

84. Image
    The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

85. Image
    Final DOOM

86. Image
    The Incredible Machine

87. Image
    The Lost Vikings

88. Image
    Norse by Norse West: The Return of the Lost Vikings

89. Image
    The Secret of Monkey Island

90. Image
    Tomb Raider: Underworld

91. Image
    Rome: Total War

92. Image
    Transport Tycoon Deluxe

93. Image
    X-COM: Terror from the Deep

94. Image
    UFO: Aftermath

95. Image
    Vagrant Story

96. Image
    Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness

97. Image
    Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos

98. Image
    Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War

99. Image
    The Chosen: Well of Souls

100.Image
    Zeliard

Last edited by Dragon on Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: So, what were/are you favourite games?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:01 pm 
Yehat Revolutionist

Besides Star Control 1/2, I've always liked the old Starflight games - as great as SC2 was, it still didn't surpass its spiritual predecessors in some areas, especially planetary exploration. I also have a real soft spot for strategy games (Battle For Wesnoth being my current favorite). I really don't like the original Elite that much (though naturally I respect the incredible technical achievement involved in doing all that on mid-'80s home computers), but with a good selection of expansion packs, Oolite is easily the best space sim you'll ever not pay a cent for. I also really like Freespace and its sequel - they told a very compelling story around a very fun space combat sim. I think the old DOS top-down shooter Tyrian deserves mention too. Unlike virtually everything else in its genre, Tyrian managed to actually tell a good story well, and would be above-average even without a plot.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:17 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

1) The mass effect series.

2) World of Warcraft.

3) Star control 2.

And after that there are a lot of games that would be in my top 10 :).

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 1:21 am 
Slylandro gasbags

In no particular order -
LBA 1 (didn't like 2)
UFO 1 (terror from the deep was just bad...)
Vagrant Story
Gobliiins, Gobliins and Goblins3
HOMM3
PvZ
Civilization
The Lost Vikings (1+2)

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 5:21 pm 
Atum-ta the Sixth

My list is clearly going to be a bit (lot?) different because I haven't done much PC gaming since the mid '90s or so, but I've kept more or less current with consoles and handhelds since their inception with the 2600.

Of course Star Control 2 is in my top games of all time. Would I be here if it wasn't? That said, I never really got into the first one, unlike a lot of folks here; maybe because I played SC2 first, maybe because my friend's edited ships left a bad taste in my mouth (infinte battery + Mycon = boring, unwinnable game).

Super Metroid is an amazing game even to this day, and a very real contender for my #1 spot. Anyone who owns a 360 will find an excellent spiritual successor in XBLA's Shadow Complex. Metroid Zero Mission and Metroid Prime are also both very, very good. Related in style are Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin, which are both excellent as well.

My top 2 FPSes (both in terms of time spent and how much enjoyment I've received) are Doom 2 (which, while the first one was great, all the extra polish and experience for the second one puts it head and shoulders above), and the still amazing (but almost criminally overlooked) Perfect Dark. That second one has an HD version available on XBLA, which fixes everything that needed to be fixed (framerate, game crashing bugs, local multiplayer only, low res) and nothing that didn't (the original voices and soundtrack are intact, and the characters still wave around their fists instead of making more complex gestures).

X-Com: UFO Defense is an incredible game, as several others have already pointed out. The sequels have been nothing but disappointments (to greater or lesser degrees) since, sadly.

Speaking of old DOS games, I still find myself occasionally firing up DOSbox to play some Syndicate or The Incredible Machine 2. I would also do this with Tie Fighter or The Secret of Monkey Island, but my disks for those were already ruined when I was trying to transfer all my old DOS games to more permanent storage years ago.

In terms of strategy games, my favorites (other than X-Com above) are Warlords 2 for turn based, and Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2 for RTS, though honorable mention goes to the granddaddy of the genre, Dune 2, for being a tremendous time sink for my all those years ago.

Chrono Trigger is still the greatest RPG ever, as far as I'm concerned.

Katamari Damacy is one of those weird, quirky games that will always have a special place in my heart.

Speaking of weird and quirky (not to mention obscure), the Culdcept games (or at least the two that made it to the US) are some of my favorite underappreciated gems. The localizations are a bit iffy, and the story is nothing to write home about, but none of that matters when the gameplay is essentially a cross between Magic the Gathering and Monopoly. If you like board games or CCGs, these may be some of the best games you've never played.

That said, my games collection is very large and spans decades, and the number of games I regret purchasing is extremely small. There are a lot of contenders for my top spots.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:58 pm 
Yehat Revolutionist

90% of the games I play fall into one of two categories: "PC Games from the 90s", and "Nintendo".

PC Games:

The Obvious Game That Everyone Else Has Already Mentioned

X-COM: UFO Defense: Just started replaying this last week! And I also think TFTD is pretty darn awesome, but it has a few things weighing it down, unfortunately...

Warlords II: I haven't played this in a while, but I have good memories of it. I should go dig it out again...

Civilization: Classic...!

Commander Keen 4, 5, and 6: "CK6" was probably my favorite game when I was 10 or so. I could hum the music all day!

Betrayal at Krondor: I haven't played this in about five years now... I keep trying to find somewhere where I can download it, but no matter what I do I can't get it to work at all... It's VERY frustrating. :(

Masters of Magic: A very very very amazing world-conquest game!

Nintendo:

Legend of Zelda: All of the games are fantastic, but my favorites are (in no particular order): "Ocarina of Time", "Minish Cap", "Majora's Mask", and "Skyward Sword". "OoT" is by far the most nostalgic game on my list.

Star Fox: "Star Fox 64" and "Star Fox: Command" were both incredible games. "Star Fox: Assault" was pretty darn disappointing.

Banjo-Kazooie: Definitely falls under the "Quirky" category. A practically perfect game!

Okami: This game took my breath away. If you've played it, you know exactly what I mean.

Diddy-Kong Racing: Definitely the funnest racing game I've ever played!

Pokemon: I was born in the early 90s. Pokemon was born in the late 90s. Perfect fit.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: I'm a little bit embarrassed by this one... The game is really aimed toward a much younger audience, and thus the story is amazingly cheesy, but once you get past that, it's really one of the funnest handheld games I've ever played.

Phew, that was a long list... Now if you'll excuse me, I have a few Chryssalids to take care of...

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:12 am 
Ilwrath torturer

1. La-Mulana: I played this for 10 months and wrote a small novel worth of notes. The most fun I've ever had with any game without question.
2. Morrowind: Although lacking in some areas such as combat, this is still the best in the TES series. The storyline is dark, the world is huge and things like fast travel are implemented as a cool ingame system.
3. Star Control 2: Do I have to explain?

Many of you have raised a lot of modern games on the table. I've found myself disliking almost everything that is released by big game companies nowdays: They don't offer challenge, the ideas in them area already old and they are not fun to play. When I play a game, I'm in it for interesting gameplay mechanics with a good story. Realism is not important. From a graphics programmer's side of view I really appreciate some of the games for their graphics, but I believe graphics are always an entirely useless measurement of quality. Multiplayer games I haven't played for ages since they don't really offer the excellent community which smaller games like Star Control 2 have. I for one appreciate more intelligent discussion than your momma jokes or cursing over a lost match / won match. In regards to the RTSs listed above, I've also found that I have recently began to dislike them as well: Their multiplayer is won by him who builds and spams units faster. Turn based strategies are closer to my heart as they measure skill in strategy and tactics, as well as knowledge in the deep game mechanics instead of speed.

Many Star Control fans appear to like Mass Effect, but I thought it was a pretty linear shooter. The story was quite alright though, except for the horrible character developments.

I also tried this small Metroidvania indie recently called Unepic. It's pretty cool.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:26 pm 
Hunam adventurer

Some mighty awesome stuff you got in here guys! And I'm glad many a favorite of mine found their place in the ranking. Blimey, if it wasn't for y'all I would have never remembered Warlords II, Commander Keen or the Lost Vikings! But enough blabbering, here's my (tentative) list, in no particular order:

Real-time Strat:
-- Star Control 1/2 of course 8-)
-- Dune 2
-- Warcraft 2/3

Real-time Sim:
-- SimCity 4
-- Anno 1402
-- Transport Tycoon Deluxe
-- Star Wars: XWing/Tie Fighter
-- Deathtrack
-- Test Drive 3

Turn-based Strat:
-- UFO 1/2/Aftermath
-- Civilization 1/2/3 (Civ 3 is probably all-time favorite)
-- Master of Orion 1/2/3
-- HOMM 3
-- Total War Rome/Medieval
-- Panzer General/Panzer Corps

Online:
-- Minecraft, vanilla WoW, Eve, Warhammer

Other:
-- Incredible Machines
-- Indiana Jones (Atlantis)
-- Space Quest 5
-- Jones in the Fast Lane

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 4:59 pm 
Duke Franz Ferdinand

Boktai: The Sun is In Your Hand! Strangely enough, I didn't get burned by it. (HAR HAR HAR)
The Mega Man series (especially X, Zero, ZX) rarely disappoints, on the increasingly rare occasions that it sees a release.
Sonic Colours is one I've found a lot of time for recently. First good Sonic game in so very long.
No More Heroes is one I continue to defend against my friends' opinions, and I stubbornly insist that Travis Touchdown is cool.
NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams is a beautiful, beautiful game.
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (PC) isn't exactly difficult or especially advanced, but I quite like it anyway. The free-roaming exploration of Hogwarts between the challenge levels puts it head and shoulders above its predecessor.
Team Fortress 2 is a vice, but it's a pretty fun vice. There's a lot of satisfaction to be derived from being a good Medic.
E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy is a relentlessly indie cyberpunk FPS/RPG in the vein of Deus Ex that I enjoy in spite of its many flaws in comprehension. And who can argue with a game in which you play a cyborg zombie samurai?
Well of Souls (which I know has turned up around the SCDB before, thanks to our old friend Sedodes) deserves a mention for the immense flexibility of the engine, even if it is showing its age in some of its limitations.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:06 pm 
It is light

Most of my favourites were mentioned, but beyond Little Big Adventure, Star Control 2, Fallout, Civilisation and Tie Fighter I'd like to add System Shock 1 and 2 to the list. Terror and horror in space combined with FPS and RPG, what more could you want?