Otherwhen Odyssee

Do you want to *play* with us camper? This is where *fun games* are had!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

User avatar
Dragon
Reborn Shofixti
Posts: 528
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:29 am
Location: South Africa

Re: Otherwhen Odyssee

Post by Dragon » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:07 pm

oldlaptop wrote:Put down the birdie, and charge, howling the scream of death!
This. Except softly. Better to just think the howl screaming death and run up quietly. Then:
Alvarin wrote:pierce the spider's head with our sword.

User avatar
Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper
Posts: 2882
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:03 pm
Location: Dead World

Re: Otherwhen Odyssee

Post by Lukipela » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:40 pm

Distraction already worked once, so there’s no reason it wouldn’t work again. You heft a stone and hurl it into the forest on the opposite side of the cart. The foliage rustles as it passes and then there is a loud thunk.

The Ilwrath’s head whips around, trying to locate the source of the sound. For a second it looks as if it is confused and you begin to move. Then it lets go of the spear and whips around, drawing two crooked swords.

“I Am Going To Enjoy Tearing You Apart, Morsel”, it clacks before launching itself at you.

Without being quite aware of it, you send another rock flying, crashing right into the Ilwrath’s face. The charge broken, it staggers backwards as you throw yourself at it, launching more stones as you close in for the kill. Your arm tingles again. but it doesn’t distract you. Quite the opposite, every one of your throws hits the spot you aim for. You’re not sure what is going on, but you’re not about to complain.

Once you’ve closed the gap between you, dispatching the dazed creature is easy. You scale its carapace and plant your sword squarely in its face. The body twitches beneath you, shudders, and falls to the ground. You withdraw your sword, which is now covered in thick green liquid.

You hurry forwards to Chiyo, who has almost managed to free herself from the spear. With your help, it doesn’t take long. As you bandage her wound with part of her tunic, you realize that it’s more than a simple flesh wound. She looks ill, and her fur is moist from sweat. she isn’t just wounded, she is sick.

“One of the little bastards got me…” she groans. “I’m not going to be moving quickly anymore”

That seems an understatement. Her eyes look dull, and you remember how your head felt after the bite. She draws a ragged breath and then continues.

“You need to leave me, leave the cart, run for the city of Leaves. They need to know that the Ilwrath are loose in the forest, and on this side! There must be more Ilwrath around, they’d never penetrate this deep into our territory with just a small group. On foot, you can make it in a day or two. Stay off the road, but not too far off.”

Your world is falling apart, Your teacher is dying. Leaving her here to die seems a terrible thing, and you tell her that you will take her along with you.

“I’ll slow you down boy…” she mutters. “Don’t worry about me. I know an old healer, about half a day by foot from here in the forest to the north. I’ll head that way, and meet you later. You run along now… son”

No one has ever called you son before. There are no parents in the younglings hut, for obvious reasons. A bond has been formed between the two of you, and just as it is formalized, it is about to be broken. Chiyo will not be able to travel for half a day on her own. If you leave her, she will die. But if you don’t, you will not be able to warn the people of the City of Leafs. Unless they already know? This is a terrible decision to have to make. Should you go or not? You honestly don’t know.

What now?

User avatar
Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper
Posts: 1712
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:07 pm

Re: Otherwhen Odyssee

Post by Death 999 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:47 pm

I wonder if my blood would help her?

User avatar
Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper
Posts: 2882
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:03 pm
Location: Dead World

Re: Otherwhen Odyssee

Post by Lukipela » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:30 pm

Death 999 wrote:I wonder if my blood would help her?
You're not quite sure how you'd go about this. You suppose can cut one of Chiyos veins open as well as one of your own, and try to mix your blood into her wound. You're not sure if the blood will go into her body though, or just be pushed out by the bleeding.

User avatar
BaVB
Arilou wiseguy
Posts: 210
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:02 pm
Location: USA

Re: Otherwhen Odyssee

Post by BaVB » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:34 pm

Unfortunately, in order to save most of the citizens, a sacrifice has to be made. If there is any food, water, or potions anywhere, give it to her and be on your way to the City of Leaves.
Image
Image

User avatar
Dyandod
Yehat Revolutionist
Posts: 643
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:16 am
Location: Illinois

Re: Otherwhen Odyssee

Post by Dyandod » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:04 pm

If Chiyo doesn't move, how long will she last? Perhaps if we hurried we could race to the healer's house and back by ourselves...

If so, find a safe place nearby for her to hide, and leave any provisions with her that we can.

If not, well, I'm not quite sure about that yet...
KYAAAAAIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE!

User avatar
Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper
Posts: 2099
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:12 am
Location: Israel

Re: Otherwhen Odyssee

Post by Alvarin » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:35 pm

Ditch the cart, hoist Chiyo onto the donkey, rush to the healer. Go to the city of Leaves from healer's place.
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.

User avatar
Gekko
Ilwrath torturer
Posts: 409
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:55 pm
Location: Espoo, Finland

Re: Otherwhen Odyssee

Post by Gekko » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:47 am

Respect the teacher's glorious decision to sacrifice herself. Hurry to sound the alarm.
Visit #uqm-arena and play a game of Net Melee!
Try the Net Melee Improvement mod

User avatar
Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper
Posts: 1712
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:07 pm

Re: Otherwhen Odyssee

Post by Death 999 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:24 pm

Can the pkunk fly? If not, can it ride the horse after we unhitch it? Send it to carry the message, take Chiyo. She told us what to do without ever finding out about the bird. That changes things.

I'm assuming that the pkunk is sapient. Even if it doesn't speak our language I can probably convey to it to carry a written note.

User avatar
Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper
Posts: 2882
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:03 pm
Location: Dead World

Re: Otherwhen Odyssee

Post by Lukipela » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:26 pm

Dyandod wrote:If Chiyo doesn't move, how long will she last? Perhaps if we hurried we could race to the healer's house and back by ourselves...
You're no expert on spider bites, so it's hard to say. She is tough as nails, so she might last for a while, but probably not an entire day[/quote]
Death 999 wrote:Can the pkunk fly?
The birds wings are still covered by the net-like substance the male Ilwrath secreted. if you clean that off it might be able to fly, but it's prety sticky stuff.
If not, can it ride the horse after we unhitch it? Send it to carry the message, take Chiyo. She told us what to do without ever finding out about the bird. That changes things.
That donkey is pretty mean, you're doubtful of how well it would play with the bird.
I'm assuming that the pkunk is sapient. Even if it doesn't speak our language I can probably convey to it to carry a written note.
The bird seems quite intelligent, more so than other birds you have seen. It hasn't talked yet though.
oldlaptop wrote:Do we have any idea which direction the Ilwrath came from?
The ones you encountered first were west of the road (you're at a turn where direction changes from south-north to east-west. you were heading northwards and after this the road continues in an eastward direction). The ones that attacked the wagon seems to have come from the north.
Is there any knowledge on the lethality of Ilwrath bites?
Having grown up far from where Ilwrath are normally encountered, there are no recent ancestral memories in you regarding this. You vaguely recall that Ilwrath poison isn't necessarily lethal to a healthy adult individual, though it can be.
What is our cargo? Do we know of any folk medicines we could prepare against Ilwrath toxin that might help Chiyo drag herself to the nearest settlement?
Weapons and armour, some tools and a few books. And food and water of course, for the two of you and the donkey. Herb remedies are generally the realm of Shamans, and you have no experience in that area.

Post Reply