Otherwhen Odyssee

Do you want to *play* with us camper? This is where *fun games* are had!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Post Reply
User avatar
Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper
Posts: 2882
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:03 pm
Location: Dead World

Otherwhen Odyssee

Post by Lukipela » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:33 pm

It's a beautiful morning in your village, but you can't quite appreciate it. Your stomach is fluttering, excitement and anxiousness competing for your attention. There was a great feast last night, to celebrate the return of the younglings from their adventure. Well, as much adventure as a youngling can have in the middle of the Empire. Maybe somewhere on the edges of the world surviving on your own is still fraught with danger, but in this part of the world there is nothing that can threaten a Shofixti. You spent three days in the forest, sleeping under a starlit sky and feeling hungry. But you still did it on your own, and you feel proud of that.

But the feast was yesterday. Today you are an adult, and your life will begin. It is customary for young adults to travel and see the world for a moon or two before they choose a profession, so that they can find direction and guidance. But how will you travel, and where will you go?

You've spent the night under the sky, among all the other young adults who celebrated yesterday. Others are waking up now as well, so you best get a move on. You have plenty of options, since your village is a local hub for trade due to it's position. You could attempt to join a trade caravan down at the marketplace, heading either south or north. Or you could accompany a lone trader instead. There are always merchants who want to send private messages by errand pup to nearby cities, and several of the religious orders are prone to doing the same. There might also be an expedition or two setting off towards the eastern forests to forage for valuable herbs or to the west to trade with the people on the Grass Sea. They can always use an extra pair of hands.

So you guess the question is... what now?

User avatar
oldlaptop
Yehat Revolutionist
Posts: 744
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:20 pm
Location: 175.2 : 145.0

Re: Otherwhen Odyssee

Post by oldlaptop » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:09 pm

I say we try to escort one of those traders, and honorably defend him/her/it from cowardly robber scum!
Play Supermelee online in #uqm-arena!
Netmelee Improvement Mod

User avatar
Dabir
Duke Franz Ferdinand
Posts: 498
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:29 pm

Re: Otherwhen Odyssee

Post by Dabir » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:21 pm

I shall lend my voice to supporting the herb gatherers, it's a useful job and we have experience of forests.

User avatar
Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper
Posts: 1716
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:07 pm

Re: Otherwhen Odyssee

Post by Death 999 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:35 pm

Message carrier sounds good. Failing that, herb gatherer?

User avatar
Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper
Posts: 2110
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:12 am
Location: Israel

Re: Otherwhen Odyssee

Post by Alvarin » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:52 am

I'd like to join the lone merchant.
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.

User avatar
Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth
Posts: 1359
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:09 am
Location: Pennsylvania, USA

Re: Otherwhen Odyssee

Post by Draxas » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:46 pm

How about joining one of the caravans headed north? Should help us learn about what to expect along the trade routes, and probably pays better than solo traders or foraging.

User avatar
Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper
Posts: 2882
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:03 pm
Location: Dead World

Re: Otherwhen Odyssee

Post by Lukipela » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:19 pm

As you walk down to the marketplace, you enjoy the sensation of the rising sun warming your fur. Sleeping on the ground is all good and well, but it does get a bit chilly this time of year. Even though winter has released it's grip of the land and spring is in full bloom, the nights can still be cold.

The marketplace is bustling when you get there. Despite the early hour, merchants and caravans of all sorts are packing or unpacking, selling or buying. It's nowhere near as crowded as it will be in a few hours, when the denizens of your village come down to trade, but there is still a fair amount of people here.

You are torn between simply delivering a message for a merchant, or travelling with a smaller trader. After walking around for a while, you find yourself with several choices. Unfortunately, the one you'd really want is not available to a young pup like yourself. The resident Melnorme trader is friendly, but explains that its kind rarely needs protection, and when they do they need hardened warriors. And they deliver their messages by... other means. It does not explain further and you leave its information and valuables stall with a disappointment burning in your chest.

An old grizzled female who looks like a retired warrior is heading for the City of Leafs in the Western Forest and wants some company. Though the roads through the forest are safe enough, there is always the risk of wild animals and her eyesight is not what it once was. In exchange, she'll teach you a thing or two about the art of combat.

A young male, maybe no more than 3 years, wants to send a few messages southwards, to one of the southern cities. If you carry his messages, those who receive them will teach you something of your peoples culture and history.

A bonded couple are heading east, to the City on the Plain to trade with the people of the Grass Sea. They need someone to help them with the heavy lifting. The road there is quite safe, but sometimes people go missing on the Grass Sea so an extra pair of eyes is a good idea. The female offers to teach you some simple charms and tricks that may be of use in the future.

An old male with greying fur wishes to send messages to the Iron Hills in the north. There are many dangers in the hills, but when you arrive his associates can teach you much about the art of construction. Some say they even know a bit about Technology.

No matter whom you choose to go with, they all want to know your name. You realize that you've forgotten this important part of the maturity ritual. While still in the Younglings hut, you used your child name. But now you are an adult, and it must be discarded forevermore. You must give yourself a name, and then carry it with pride.

What is our name?
Are we male or female?
What now?

User avatar
Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper
Posts: 2110
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:12 am
Location: Israel

Re: Otherwhen Odyssee

Post by Alvarin » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:43 pm

Let's head west, with the retired warrior.
We shall introduce ourselves as Dare-mo. Male.
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.

User avatar
Gekko
Ilwrath torturer
Posts: 409
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:55 pm
Location: Espoo, Finland

Re: Otherwhen Odyssee

Post by Gekko » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:38 pm

West with the retired warrior. He may even tell cool tales of his past days.
Visit #uqm-arena and play a game of Net Melee!
Try the Net Melee Improvement mod

User avatar
Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth
Posts: 1359
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:09 am
Location: Pennsylvania, USA

Re: Otherwhen Odyssee

Post by Draxas » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:14 pm

Let us go south, and learn more about our world.

Our name shall be Katana, which our racial memories tell us was a very important individual, but not exactly why... Perhaps if we go south, we can find out.

Post Reply