Otherwhen Chapter 1: The Coming of Age

Do you want to *play* with us camper? This is where *fun games* are had!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Nuclear
Yehat Revolutionist

Re: The Coming of Age

Post by Nuclear » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:19 am

Death 999 wrote:Well, I was going to say that was pretty cool and let's go back, but, uh, I think I'm going to be outvoted on that one.
You betcha, onward downward!
Hackers never die. They just terminate and stay resident.

Dragon
Reborn Shofixti

Post by Dragon » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:26 am

Talking mushrooms aren't a fitting story for a brave young shofixti. Downward it is!

chenjesuwizard
Malfunctioning M:bot

Post by chenjesuwizard » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:23 am

Downwards
See what's down.

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:31 pm

Well, you’re in a cave already. You may as well climb down a bit further. You continue downwards, into the unknown. The tunnel twists and turns, but you get the feeling that the general direction is to the west. You pass a few smaller openings on the way, but decide to keep to the main tunnel. After a few deep dips, the air itself becomes moist.

You wonder if you’ve walked so far that there is only sea above you. You rest a few times, feasting on mushrooms to regain your strength.

Eventually, you reach a bigger cave, where you can hear the sound of water running. You are stunned by what you see. The cavern widens into a large hall, and from the roof an enormous swirl of water comes crashing down. The sight is amazing and you wonder where all that water comes from and where it goes.

The second question is quickly answered. The water flows away into some form of underground river, disappearing into a cavern. Surprisingly, a small boat is moored close by the inlet. It looks like someone uses the canal to go… somewhere. You wonder where on earth such a dark opening would bring you. The idea of disappearing into the darkness and water fascinates you and appeals to you in a way you can’t quite explain.

You continue exploring the cavern and quickly note that there seems to be three potential exits. First off, at the far end of the cavern another tunnel continues onwards, sloping gently downwards. Continuing that way should be no problem. Secondly, on the other side of the underground pool you can see a tunnel mouth as well, from which a different kind light seems to be emanating. Rather than the sickly light given off by the mushrooms, this one is orange and fiery. In order to get there you would have to jump from rock to rock to cross the stream. The rock looks slippery, but you think it might be doable. Getting back in case you change your mind would be impossible though. Thirdly, the small boat is still there, rocking wildly in the strong current. If you get in that boat, you will certainly go somewhere different.

1. The path of least resistance looks good in this instance
2. I’ve never been afraid of a few jumps, let’s see where that takes me.
3. It’s time for a real adventure! Let’s take the boat!

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:38 pm

I did say that we should explore downward, so let's continue that way, path of least resistance or not.

OOC, I'd say that the boat links up with the path that the UQM forum is on, and the orange light leads to our good buddies the Mycon, neither of which sound particularly appealing right now.

Dabir
Duke Franz Ferdinand

Post by Dabir » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:41 pm

Well, I'd like to check out the orange light. Mycons or not, light is light, and it's much healthier for the eyes to be near a fire than living by mushrooms forever.

Alen
Hunam adventurer

Post by Alen » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:54 pm

lets go to down more, its worked out fine so far.

Fossaman
Arilou wiseguy

Post by Fossaman » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:09 pm

Uncertain boats and slippery rocks, no! There is bravery and there is folly. Let us take the easy path.

Smoke353
Turnip Farmer

Post by Smoke353 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:49 pm

Jump in the boat!
I was here.

Nuclear
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Nuclear » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:07 am

Fiery orange light? Could it be that we went down to the depths of hell itself? Lets check it out...
Hackers never die. They just terminate and stay resident.