Star Control Discussion Board

All About Star Control
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:08 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: The Grand Council IV - OOC
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:26 am 
Yehat Revolutionist

Right. So, as discussed in the previous iteration's OOC thread, it's about time to start another one of these. This is the OOC thread; the IC thread will be posted once we're all set and ready. For now, you can read a simple explanation regarding how this is going to work, below.

This is, at its core, a council game. Basically, we'll be playing as representatives of the various races. Since most of you probably know what a council game is already (and if you don't, having a look at the previous iterations should give you a fair idea) I'm not going to explain the fundamentals much. There are, however, a few things of note:

The mediator's text will be displayed like this, however it should not have any significant presence in the RP itself. The mediator is only there to keep discussions more or less orderly, and will remain neutral throughout the course of the proceedings.

As for the council meeting itself, it takes place on a neutral station orbiting Rigel I, which has been specifically built in the neutral Rigel system for the purpose of hosting the council. Anyone who boards the station must surrender their weaponry first; concealed weaponry and taking violent action are both strictly forbidden, and will result in ejection from the proceedings. This is a battle of words, not sticks and stones.

There will be spoilers in both the OOC and IC threads, so if you'd like to avoid those, I would strongly advise avoiding these threads altogether. Nothing will be spoiler tagged - you've been warned.

The scope of canon when it comes to this RP is only Star Control 1 and Star Control 2, as well as their supporting materials (RP guide, manuals, et cetera). Star Control 3 is not considered canon here, and neither are any fan-made creations such as Project 6014. This is usually what most people seem to consider canon, but it doesn't hurt to clarify.

Races cannot be 'reserved'. They operate on a first-come, first-serve basis - whoever makes a post as a representative of a race in the IC thread first gets that race, since sign-ups are not a thing. You may freely state that you want to play as race X here in the OOC thread, but other people aren't obligated to honor that. This should be pretty obvious, but duplicate races aren't allowed either. We can't have two Chmmr representatives, for instance. Since this is a small board, however, some races' representatives may also represent certain other races until such a time when someone elects to appear as a representative for said race. For instance, the Utwig may also represent the Supox, and the Yehat may represent the Shofixti. If, however, a Supox representative, for instance, would later appear, the Utwig player would then have to relinquish control of the Supox. I think you get the idea, so I'll speak no more on this matter.

Feel free to post any OOC chatter and/or suggestions you don't mind being public here in this thread. For more private discussions, use PMs, and likewise, any longer series of negotiations between no more than two parties in the IC thread should also take place in PM to avoid clogging the IC thread. On that topic, only post in the IC thread if you actually feel that you have something to add to the discussion; the lack of such a restriction was what felled the last attempt, and if you can't justify why the post needs to be there, chances are that it's just a junk post clogging up the thread for no reason.

As for the overarching plot, it doesn't really exist right now. The last few times, it has more or less evolved organically, and as long as people treat things reasonably, I think that might even work as a way to form a plot in the first place. If it spirals out of control completely and we get a bunch of different plots flying around simultaneously which don't seem to relate to each other in the slightest, we might have to rethink this approach, but I feel confident enough in all of you to leave this in the players' hands.

Post subject: Re: The Grand Council IV - OOC
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:12 pm 
Arilou wiseguy

Yay! (replying to see answers in the egosearch thread, so I'll hopefully mot miss the start...).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:32 am 
Ilwrath torturer

Location: Hillopia, currently imprisoned in Invictler Slave Hive.
I think I'll be going with Keel-Verezy. I will be doing so with caution though.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:50 pm 
Ilwrath torturer

palmpet wrote:

I STRONGLY urge you to pick another race. for a couple of reasons:
1. The Keel-Vereezy are not visible to anyone but the Melnorme (As far as we know), making them more or less irrelevant.
2. The Grand Council games rely on events from SC2 to drive the story. The Keel Vereezy do not play any role at all in the story.

Please, for your sake and for everyone else's, reconsider.

I myself, would like to play the Humans/Earthlings

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:40 am 
Yehat Revolutionist

Maloo Oture wrote:
palmpet wrote:

I STRONGLY urge you to pick another race. for a couple of reasons:
1. The Keel-Vereezy are not visible to anyone but the Melnorme (As far as we know), making them more or less irrelevant.
2. The Grand Council games rely on events from SC2 to drive the story. The Keel Vereezy do not play any role at all in the story.

Please, for your sake and for everyone else's, reconsider.

I myself, would like to play the Humans/Earthlings

I must concur with this assessment, and wish to expand a bit on the underlying reasons.

The Keel-Verezy are more or less a footnote - it'd be like playing as the Gg which, just as with the Keel-Verezy, we know next to nothing about. Except worse, since the Keel-Verezy can't be seen by most. The Melnorme can see them, and the Arilou might be able to 'sense' them with their psionics, but most races (and by extension, players) simply won't be able to interact with the Keel-Verezy in any meaningful way. Even then, the Gg played more of a role in the story than the Keel-Verezy did. Not to mention, the council is a gathering of the representatives of the local powers... and the Keel-Verezy isn't known to be one, so why are they even there? It'd be like having a Melnorme at the negotiating table.

Of course, I can't stop you from playing as them. All I'm saying is that it seems like a very bad idea. There's a very good chance that the nature of the Keel-Verezy will leave you more or less left out of the actual discussions, which isn't any fun for you, and if you then decide to start commenting on everything in an attempt to 'participate' that way instead, it won't be fun for anyone.

I'll be going for the Utwig, by the way.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:29 am 
Arilou wiseguy

Going with the abovementioned rules, I will not disclose my intention which race I wish to represent.

I agree, the Keel-Verezy are difficult to play. We all know nothing. Why would they come out of hiding now?

Of the Gg we know that they are not part of this region. The Burvixese were, but they are rumoured to be extinct, as their homeworld has been burned down. It would even be difficult to play either of them.

I understand the wish to play something special, but I fear a game where everyone play something out of the order, and too few play the regular races, possibly stalling the development of our game story.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:45 pm 
Ilwrath torturer

krulle wrote:
Going with the abovementioned rules, I will not disclose my intention which race I wish to represent

You understand this means someone else can come aling and claim it, right? Why not tell us anyway? Whats the point?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:27 pm 
Yehat Revolutionist

Maloo Oture wrote:
krulle wrote:
Going with the abovementioned rules, I will not disclose my intention which race I wish to represent

You understand this means someone else can come aling and claim it, right? Why not tell us anyway? Whats the point?

Maybe it's meant to be a surprise? Krulle's under no obligation to inform us which race they'll be going for. Of course, that also means that the choice to deliberately respect said choice is unavailable for us, since we quite obviously have no idea what race is intended. It's not as if the claims have any guaranteed effect - as has been said, it is not something anyone else is required to respect. Ultimately, however, it's not our decision what Krulle chooses to inform us of.

If you're still curious, I'm sure the Melnorme could provide an answer for the modest fee of seventy-five credits at your local supergiant-class star.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:56 pm 
Ilwrath torturer

Location: Hillopia, currently imprisoned in Invictler Slave Hive.
Honestly I'm just starting to consider not being involved at all...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:52 am 
Yehat Revolutionist

palmpet wrote:
Honestly I'm just starting to consider not being involved at all...

Huh.
I honestly don't know what led you to that conclusion. Simply put, the Keel-Verezy aren't exactly the best choice for this, and other than that, we've just been having a bit of friendly discussion. I apologise if it seemed hostile to you - that certainly wasn't the intention behind it. If you feel uncertain, well, you don't have to join up right at the start. Not all players are there from the beginning, and there's no shame in joining late. You can take what time you need to consider.

Then again, it may be possible that this game just isn't for you. Not everything is to everyone's tastes. In either case, I fully respect your decision.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next