Star Control Discussion Board

All About Star Control
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:02 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Grand Council - Iteration 3 (OOC)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:58 am 
Ilwrath spawn

Location: Hillopia, currently imprisoned in Invictler Slave Hive.
I know this is 4th time this has been said.....but this is still my favorite style of rp....anyway another one of these could happen.......I know I've atleast gotten better at RP...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:07 am 
Ilwrath spawn

Is there any interest in starting another grand council RP? I feel I have practiced my RP skills enough to give it another go.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:10 am 
Yehat Revolutionist

palmpet wrote:
Is there any interest in starting another grand council RP? I feel I have practiced my RP skills enough to give it another go.

Well, I'd be interested, but I don't know if enough other people are for it to be a worthwhile attempt. If we do launch another one, we really need to keep junk posts out this time - don't make a post unless you feel you have something worthwhile to add, as that's probably how it would work in a normal negotiation too. Unimportant conversations, one-on-one haggling and other such things really needs to go to private messages this time - it literally drowned the third iteration to death.

That being said, I don't think there's any point in starting anything unless there are at least four people interested in participating. It can't be done with just one, it's outright silly with two, three's sort of too little to make anything productive, but at four we start to get to a point where we may actually be able to make something of it. Of course, if additional people join up, that'll only make it better, but we'll need at least four ships to get past the blockade, if you get my meaning.

So, anyone else interested?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:27 pm 
Arilou wiseguy

I might join, but I don't know what the Grand Council is about....
(I've missed all previous rounds)

Also, I'll be going on summer holiday soon....
Might not be a good time to actually start, but scouting interest now is good.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:09 pm 
Yehat Revolutionist

krulle wrote:
I don't know what the Grand Council is about...

Alright, I'll try my best to explain.
It is a post-game setting. Some time has passed since the New Alliance victory, enough so for governments to stabilize and for the imminent threat of the remaining Ur-Quan armada to be dealt with. This is when the various races of the quadrant send their representatives to the negotiation table. Each player takes the role of a single race's representative, although with a lack of players some get control over several races. For instance, unless one player wants to be Shofixti and another goes Yehat, the Yehat may very well be speaking for both of them. Likewise, the Utwig may represent the Supox, but if a new player later shows up wanting to play as the Supox (an actual Supox representative would then appear), the Utwig player would no longer be able to speak for the Supox as well. You get the idea. In any case, these representatives reach the negotiation table, forming the so-called 'grand council' which will be responsible for deciding what to make of the now-free local space. Alliances are made, deals are struck, aggreements are reached, the odd crisis is dealt with, that sort of stuff. With the Ur-Quan no longer ruling local space and the earlier alliances having more or less been a product of Ur-Quan pressure, there is a big question mark left regarding how everything should work after... and of course, each race (and player) has their own wishes and goals that they work towards - goals which may very well not align. Add to that the fact that there's usually one crisis or another mixing it up, and it can get rather interesting.

I don't know if I actually managed to explain anything properly here or if I just blabbered a bunch, but at least I tried. You got the gist of it? If nothing else, reading through the older Council RPs should give you a fair idea of what we're going for.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:04 pm 
Ilwrath spawn

Yes I'm aware of the junk post problem... I can't read iteration 3 without cringing at my past self....

Last edited by palmpet on Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:34 pm 
Atum-ta the Sixth

I am, as always, down for attempting this again.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:32 pm 
Arilou wiseguy

Sure, the gist is a kind of UN/Babylon5 role-playing, in StarControl universe post SC2....

Tag me in!

My favourite races are Supox and the Burvixese. Latter one I won't play, and the Druuge sound like fun to play...

Do we wish for the Trog to join, or do we fear to post spoilerish material in the game?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:54 pm 
Ilwrath spawn

krulle wrote:
Sure, the gist is a kind of UN/Babylon5 role-playing, in StarControl universe post SC2....

Tag me in!

My favourite races are Supox and the Burvixese. Latter one I won't play, and the Druuge sound like fun to play...

Do we wish for the Trog to join, or do we fear to post spoilerish material in the game?

Trog has been avoiding heavy space for the most part because of spoilers. Also it's funny you mention the burvixese because someone played them in the second grand council RP.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:19 am 
Yehat Revolutionist

krulle wrote:

There will definitely be spoilers for him if he joins up, so it's probably better he keeps away from the RP section in general until his playthrough is done. As such, it's probably not realistic to see him participating in the next iteration unless starting it takes a really long time.

palmpet wrote:
Also it's funny you mention the burvixese because someone played them in the second grand council RP.

Yeah, that... happened. People also played as the Chenjesu, Mmrnmhrm, Androsynth, the ghosts of the Ilwrath, the 'last survivors' of the Thraddash... you know, races commonly considered knocked out of the game. Once, someone even tried to go for the brown Ur-Quan. In short, whenever we start to run out of living races -or someone's usual favorites are already taken- they tend to start introducing other options such as those. Of course, people are totally free to do so, although it would be prudent for any would-be resurrectionist to think up a viable reason for why that race is still around. People tend to ask questions. It's rather interesting to see what people come up with. Maybe next time, who knows, someone might go for the Taalo or something.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next