'Didn't want to be rescued' prompt fanfics

Do you want to *play* with us camper? This is where *fun games* are had!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

'Didn't want to be rescued' prompt fanfics

Post by Death 999 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:35 am

This thread is for Star Control fics written so as to contain the sentence fragment, 'didn't want to be rescued', for my 'getting tired of waiting for the fanfic contest to start' fanfic contest.

Since the official contest appears to be moving forward, the end date for this one is pushed back until well after the end of the more official one... July 31st, say.

Launch Fighters! and don't forget the *sauce*.

glory_device
Ilwrath torturer

Re: 'Didn't want to be rescued' prompt fanfics

Post by glory_device » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:16 pm

Fwiffo: But I didn't want to be rescued from this tyrannic empire that is boredom. I love boredom! I was on the perfect duty which involve being as far away as possible from any possible threat! Oh the horror of having to live on the edge again! Why did you give me a KITTY! Whyyyy?

Stay tuned for the next episode where danger lies in every corner of a round room.
Last edited by glory_device on Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
''I swiftly matured into a fine example of my species and with my parents' assistance, achieved independence.
Specifically, they pried me from the doorjamb, and rolled me into the street.'' -Fwiffo

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:41 pm

Every now and then, I'm having trouble understanding what's going on with some of these topics. I lurk and poke about and every now and then I find one of these topics that I spend a considerable amount of time just trying to grasp the concept. However, when somebody tries to clue me in, I insist that I simply didn't want to be rescued from my ignorance, I sometimes just need time to sort stuff out in my head to put these things in their proper context.
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

Quasispatial
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Quasispatial » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:01 pm

Didn't want to be rescued
It seemed like, only a few years ago, things looked great. Of course, yes, they had kind of been forced into allying with the Hunams when their threat of returning the Evil Ones was, quite frankly, more scary than the Ur-Quan (which were still very scary, by the way), but in just a few months' time, it had all paid off. Their alliance had been an excellent opportunity for them to study the Ur-Quans' slave-shield technology, and the end result had unquestionably been satisfying.

When the red shield around Spathiwa finally went up, the Spathian people had, against all odds, managed to escape from the creepy galaxy around them. For the first time since time immemorial, they were, with the exception of a few unlucky individuals who were, at the time, part of the Hunams' armed forces, safe.

...or so they thought. In the end, though, the very thing every Spathi knew, and which they probably should have figured out beforehand, was that even that peace, their isolation, was an illusion. They had done the one thing sensible Spathi never, ever did: they dropped their guard.

Their foolishness was revealed when what first seemed like a perfectly calm, normal and peaceful day on their homeworld turned into one of the most shocking and chaotic days of their species' history. For suddenly, without even the slightest hint of a warning, there was a bright, intense wave of light, and the shield was gone. Such a thing hadn't even been thought possible; to be fair, they could lower their own shield themselves, but the possibility of others being able to do the same thing to it hadn't even been considered.

Thus, when the shield fell, revealing the big and scary universe once more and giving show to the presence of an entire fleet of large, white vessels surrounding their world, anyone who were even remotely familiar with the Spathi could probably figure out what they did next.

Panic couldn't even begin to describe it. Within moments, the whole world was beyond utter chaos as everyone and everything ran all over the place, futilely trying to do whatever they thought would help to keep them safe. Some had even thought that this was the Ultimate Evil come near, as their lack of detectors would have allowed it to approach without being spotted, and the whole idea spread around the entire planet within a matter of minutes, which did nothing in the way of stifling panic. If anything, it got worse.

Seeing as the entire world's population was occupied with sheer panic, there was absolutely nobody there to listen to their few remaining hyperwave receivers which had not yet been disassembled; the orbiting CHMMRs' proclamation of the Spathi now being "free" fell on deaf ears.

The chaos eventually settled –mostly, at least– after a few of the Hunams’ hours, once the CHMMR, somewhat uncertain on what to do in this situation (though really, they should have seen this one coming), managed to get a Spathi vessel, the Starrunner, to arrive and actually explain the situation to the few Safe Ones –two– whose hiding spots just happened to be close enough to their usual chamber’s receiver; it had been kept for some inexplicable reason, despite the shield. Word spread, and the general panic somewhat diminished; an improvement, but not by much.

Of course, once the panic wasn’t fully dominating the Spathis’ judgement, something else had to take its place. Completely uncharacteristically for the Spathi, who would usually just cower away before anything got even the slightest chance to cause such a thing; it was anger. Thus, the unfortunate CHMMR whom the Safe Ones had been directed to by Fwiffo (who was the Starrunner’s captain) was forced to sit through a half-hour long lecture on every single reason why the shield could absolutely, positively, definitely, unquestionably, undoubtedly never be allowed to be removed again, or their diplomatic relations would, as the Spathi put it, ‘go sour’. For the Spathi wanted simply to be left alone; the CHMMR hadn’t even stopped to consider the mere possibility that maybe, just maaaaybe, the Spathi didn’t want to be rescued; that they were completely happy, encased in their thought-to-be ‘impenetrable’ shield.

Once they managed to get the CHMMR to promise to never, ever forcibly remove the Spathis’ shield again, it eventually came back up, said Spathi having quadrupled the power feeding into it and thus nearly doubling its strength. As the few Spathi whom were previously locked out took this pristine moment to, as they put it, ‘sneak back in’, their race vanished from the stars, never to appear again. To this day, the radiant glow of the Spathi shield still encases their world, growing brighter each day as the race’s safety obsession keeps causing them to forever improve it. Some even say that, at this rate, it would take less than a hundred years before not even the manufactured super-nova at the Shofixti’s famed “ultimate sacrifice” during the Great War would be enough to crack it.

The universe would never see the Spathi again, and that’s exactly how they wanted it.

(Note: I also put this out on fanfiction.net - if you find it there, don't go screaming "plagiarism"; I know very well that this post and that story are the same, and stuffing the review section there with cries of plagiarism is going to do nothing but scare off potential readers)
"Sentient life. We are the Ur-Quan. Independence is intolerable. Blah, blah, blah." - the Spathi High Council, Star Control II.

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:37 pm

Due to lack of official contest being on, I'm declaring this to be back on. You have the rest of September.

Quasispatial
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Quasispatial » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:18 pm

Welp, my submission here stands. I'll see if I can get the actual, original contest's submission running again sometime in the future.

Good luck to all contestants, both here and *there*. (Of course, that luck-wishing shamelessly includes myself as well, as I am, logically, part of the "all").
"Sentient life. We are the Ur-Quan. Independence is intolerable. Blah, blah, blah." - the Spathi High Council, Star Control II.

palmpet
Ilwrath torturer
Location: Hillopia, currently imprisoned in Invictler Slave Hive.

Post by palmpet » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:05 pm

"What's the point in being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes."

gtb2002
Arilou wiseguy

Post by gtb2002 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:50 am

Don't want to be saved!
As the Um-gah stared into space thinking about their next prank they got an idea they have found the new race of friendly aliens called the Melnorme and sought to make a ultimate prank! The Um-gah out of fuel sitting near home when the Melnorme came the Um-gah said they would offer their Mycon bodies they "found". When the Melnorme accepted and transported info and bodies the bodies came to life and the Melnorme screamed the Um-gah Said "we won't save you" the Melnorme replied heartily you think we fell for that we didn't even want to be saved,we knew this joke was coming for a long time. But you have to admit it was pretty funny right and how did you stop the Mycon anyways said the Um-gah captain? We used the Keel-Veresy stun gun!
FYI: I've explored almost all the dialogue trees in Sc2.