All About Star Control
It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:28 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Star Control Tabletop Roleplaying and Wargaming
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:30 pm 
ZEXy Beast

What do you see here?

http://metalsdiecast.com/wp-content/upl ... 30x687.jpg

What I see is, in order from left to right, (and perhaps with a little repainting) a Supox, a Shofixti, an Earthling, a Syreen, and, perhapsat a stretch, a Thraddash. On a scale of 1-10, I'd give the first 4 a 9-10 fora good fit. The last I'd give, maybe a 4, just because he's big and ugly.

The problem, of course, is that all of these except the last are Alliance races, and the only Hierarchy race is a bad fit and the lamest race as well.

Of course, the Earthling could be an Androsynth, and might be a 5-6 good fit if his uniform and equipment are painted blue-black and his hair blonde (which it already is).

What do you think?

Last edited by gloriousbattle on Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Star Control Tabletop Roleplaying and Wargaming
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:36 pm 
ZEXy Beast

These, blown up to maybe 300%, make good sized tabletop flats for SC ships. I'd have to modify the starship combat rules fairly seriously to make them work for SC vessels, and I wouldn't want it to be just a tabletop version of the melee game, but something that would allow multiple ships on the board at a time, and that would allow some roleplaying.

http://i.imgur.com/o5vlZDU.png

Last edited by gloriousbattle on Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:46 pm 
ZEXy Beast

I'm no big fan of GURPS, but somebody wrote a set of roleplaying conversions fr SC, once. I have them in my email, but can no longer find them on the web, not even on the Wayback Machine. Anybody have them?

For rules, I'll probably use these, because they are, simple, cheap, fun, and because I wrote them.

http://www.rpgnow.com/product/183969/Vo ... st_epoch=0

Any other thoughts on conversion would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:05 am 
ZEXy Beast

Other miniatures as close fits?

This D&D aboleth as an Ur-Quan?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_PJ8btrvLURU/R ... leth07.jpg

This thing as an Ilwrath?

http://www.vesivus.com/minis/Blood_War_Mezzoloth.htm

Other suggestions?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:23 am 
Yehat Revolutionist

gloriousbattle wrote:
These, blown up to maybe 300%, make good sized tabletop flats for SC ships. I'd have to modify the starship combat rules fairly seriously to make them work for SC vessels, and I wouldn't want it to be just a tabletop version of the melee game, but something that would allow multiple ships on the board at a time, and that would allow some roleplaying.

http://i.imgur.com/o5vlZDU.png

Well, actually me and glory_device made a sort of SC space battle melee board game last year, one which may at least partly fit the bill. The thread for it is over here, with the actual, latest "release" being located here. We never really finished it; glory_device got busy with other things after the first update, and my own steam more or less ran out after the second one, as there's only so much one person can do alone. Still, it's... workable, and if nothing else, it could prove a passable basis for the space battles. There were ship markers slated for release with the next update, something 2d you could print out to place on the board, but those never really made it out. Here's the blue Intruder and the red Jugger, but I could probably put up the entire ship roster if you think it'd come in handy.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:07 pm 
ZFP Peacekeeper

gloriousbattle wrote:
What do you see here?

http://metalsdiecast.com/wp-content/upl ... 30x687.jpg

What I see is, in order from left to right, (and perhaps with a little repainting) a Supox, a Shofixti, an Earthling, a Syreen, and, perhapsat a stretch, a Thraddash. On a scale of 1-10, I'd give the first 4 a 9-10 fora good fit. The last I'd give, maybe a 4, just because he's big and ugly.

What do you think?

It's not a good fit, no. He's a pretty good fit for Grrl Power's Vehemence, though.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:19 pm 
Ilwrath torturer

Oh yeah! I do recall working on that! It was an interesting project. Aside from time constraint, the real issue was that the first iteration was really buggy in terms of balance. I played 2-3 games and we we're far off in term of balance. Even with correction, the amount of game required to actually balance it was daunting. However, I still think that the ''engine'' is worth working on and it helped me understand game mechanics. We had several good discussions on that project and several future ideas that were IMO quite nice.

If I had time (oh dear time where are thou), I'd work on an actual computer engine to run the game rather than make it table top. It would enhance the player base and allow us to beta test faster.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:21 am 
Yehat Revolutionist

glory_device wrote:
Oh yeah! I do recall working on that! It was an interesting project. Aside from time constraint, the real issue was that the first iteration was really buggy in terms of balance. I played 2-3 games and we we're far off in term of balance. Even with correction, the amount of game required to actually balance it was daunting. However, I still think that the ''engine'' is worth working on and it helped me understand game mechanics. We had several good discussions on that project and several future ideas that were IMO quite nice.

If I had time (oh dear time where are thou), I'd work on an actual computer engine to run the game rather than make it table top. It would enhance the player base and allow us to beta test faster.

Well,
1: This is the wrong topic for such discussion, so we may want to move this to PM and/or the actual Card Control topic if we want to continue this particular conversation further, seeing as it's only asymptotically related to the local topic here.
Also,
2: Even if we do get time, I think it'd be better if we laid off on any such endeavors until after the whole F&P/Stardock mess reaches some form of conclusion. Better safe than sorry.
Also,
3: I don't really have time either at this juncture, so there's that. Otherwise, making something that works well enough in, say, Python wouldn't be that hard a task.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:23 pm 
Ilwrath torturer

I wasn't planning on discussing it further than that ;)

Shofixtis are badasss I'm pretty sure of that! For the rest, I'm not sure about the matching...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:45 pm 
Hunam adventurer

I’m pretty sure the wargame would turn out well with, say, six ships. The role playing scale would be a 1-on-1 ship battle. Maybe the rules for Starfinder would work? Or maybe it’s own game? (As far as it’s own roleplaying game, fight my +12 avatar!)